-For general information on how to apply for graduate admissions: Please contact Cathy Beecroft (email@example.com)
-For information on an active pending admissions packet: Please contact Jennifer E. Murray (firstname.lastname@example.org)
A completed application can take up to four (4) months to complete, so please plan in advance. Please see our website for detailed information on how to apply online: http://graduateschool.buffalostate.edu/apply.
Buffalo State maintains a student-managed admissions process that requires an applicant to submit a complete application with all required components to the Graduate School by the appropriate deadline. Thus, applicants are assured the admissions committee has all the necessary information to evaluate their qualifications to avoid delay in the application process. Submitted materials are the property of the Graduate School. Copies of application materials will not be supplied to the student or any other institution.
Nondegree Applicants should complete steps #1, #2, and #4 below. Only official transcripts reflecting a master's or bachelor's degree and a copy of the diploma of the highest awarded degree need to be submitted. Additional transcripts are not required but will be if /when the student applies to a program. There is no specific deadline for nondegree applications however course availability may be impacted based on the submission date of application materials. Additional fees may apply for students who submit applications after their desired semester has begun. When completing the online application under the “Select a Graduate Program Application Type” choose #6 in the drop down box (Graduate Non-Degree)
All students are advised that a maximum of 6 credit hours taken as a nondegree student may be applied toward degree requirements upon approval of the major department.
A complete admissions packet includes:
1. Online Application, which can be completed in approximately 10-15 minutes; you can save your work and complete the application later if needed. After completing the online application, print or save a copy of the confirmation page for your records (see "Admission Instructions" page on our website). If you are applying and intend to work towards a Master’s Degree through the IGPE program, when completing the online application under the “Select a Graduate Program Application Type” choose #9 in the drop down box (International Graduate Programs for Educators)
2. Application Fee, a non-refundable $65.00 U.S. is required for all SUNY Buffalo State Graduate School applicants. This fee can be paid online through VISA or Mastercard by following the steps below:
a. Login to your previously submitted Banner Application
b. Click on your submitted application term
c. Click on “Pay Graduate Application Fee”
If you are unable to submit this payment online, please contact the Graduate School at (716) 878-5601.
3. Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended in sealed envelopes. This includes transcripts for any coursework that was transferred into another institution’s degree and any coursework that you want considered for transfer credit. Each institution must send the transcript directly to the applicant. Applicants submit unopened transcript envelopes with other application materials.
4. Applicants who completed their undergraduate degrees from post-secondary schools, where English was NOT the first language, must submit a certified English translation of all official transcripts along with their official or certified true copies of their transcripts.
5. A degree evaluation is required for all applicants who have completed a bachelor’s degree outside of the United States. Applicants holding undergraduate degrees from a Canadian college or university should submit their official transcripts to our office. If those transcripts follow a system similar to that of the United States, they will be evaluated locally. If not, Canadian applicants will be required to comply with the international student credential policy.
Applicants must contact one of the following credential evaluation agencies and request a course-by-course with GPA evaluation to determine equivalency to a U.S. bachelor’s degree:
World Education Services, Inc., P.O. Box 5087, Bowling Green Station,
New York, NY 10274-5087, Phone: (212) 966-6311, Fax: (212) 739-6120, www.wes.org
Josef Silny and Associates, International Education Consultants, P.O. Box 248233,
Coral Gables, FL 33124, Phone: (305) 273-1616, Fax: (305) 273-1338, www.jsilny.com
For mailing addresses for each company, please refer to their individual web-site.
Applicants must contact the agency or visit its web-site for the most current requirements and fees and to request or download an application. Completed evaluation applications listing SUNY Buffalo State College as the recipient should be returned to the agency with the required fees and credentials.
The evaluation agency must send your course-by-course with GPA evaluation directly to our office. Applicant copies will not be accepted nor evaluations from any other agency or service.
(The process can take up to four – six weeks to complete after the agency has received all of your documents. Your Application for Admission will not be reviewed until the evaluation has been received in our office from the agency completing your report. Evaluations from the credential evaluation agency must be sent to our office.)
Applicants must hold a baccalaureate degree from an institution that is accredited by an approved U.S. regional accrediting agency or a degree that is equivalent to a U.S. four-year bachelor's degree. Students must have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5 (4.0 scale) in the baccalaureate degree.
Please note that the fall semester deadline is actually after the fall semester has ended. This later deadline allows new faculty adequate time to obtain necessary admission documents.
FALL (August 1 – December 1) December 1st
SPRING (January 1- May 1) May 1
SUMMER (May 1 – August 1) August 1
All required documents must be submitted by the appropriate deadline to:
The Graduate School
Cleveland Hall 204
SUNY Buffalo State
1300 Elmwood Avenue
Buffalo, NY 14222 USA
Once an applicant has been officially accepted, an acceptance letter will be emailed to the applicant using the email address provided on the Application for Admission.
(Do not use Hotmail email addresses. Hotmail frequently rejects emails from colleges and universities.)
IMPORTANT! Applicants must submit one set of official transcripts/translations with their Graduate Admission Application packet to our office and a second set of the same documents to World Education Services or Josef Silny and Associates for evaluation. (Submitted materials become the property of the Graduate School. Copies of application materials will not be supplied to the student or any other institution.)
Back to Top